Applications must be submitted by Thursday 31st January 2019. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Given the high number of applications received, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
To enhance the environmental agenda of Solidaridad’s programmes in South America.
Solidaridad has worked for over 15 years in South America to ensure that value chain development and growth go hand-in-hand with environmental protection. The Regional Environmental Specialist will lead and coordinate Solidaridad’s climate and landscape agenda in the region whilst providing technical advice to country offices.
The Regional Environmental Specialist must have the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders to contribute to our regional environmental ambitions.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Environmental Specialist works closely with the Chief of Party of our climate-smart and free-deforestation commodities initiative for Brazil, Colombia, and Peru, with programme staff, with the Climate and Landscape leader at Solidaridad Network and with other environmental experts from other regions.
This is a regional position that can be based in either of our offices in Brazil, Colombia or Peru. Applicants need to have the right to work in either of these countries.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Lead and deliver Solidaridad´s environmental agenda in South America.
- Provide technical support to country initiatives working on climate adaptation and mitigation, sustainable landscapes, deforestation-free commodities, and climate-smart agriculture.
- Identification and analysis of key tools to measure environmental performance at a regional level.
- Work with producers and private sector players to increase the supply of responsible agricultural products from key environmental hotspots.
- Liaise with national governments to implement incentives and or enabling conditions that promote the development of responsible value chains.
- Support the development of regional and national studies that determine the linkages between agricultural production and environmental protection.
- Grow Solidaridad environmental work regionally, liking this development to our sustainable value chain model. Construct and deliver compelling pitches and proposals to secure support.
- Represent Solidaridad South America in international environmental FORA and manage a range of institutional relationships (internal and external) that are required to deliver our environmental agenda in the region.
- Represent the South American region in the Climate and Landscape task force organized by Solidaridad Network.
- Engage with other CSOs active in the region to enhance the potential of our projects and avoid supplication.
- 5-7 years experience working on environmental issues and the field of sustainability (essential).
- Degree on environmental sciences or equivalent. (Master degree or post-graduate relevant studies desirable).
- Fluent in English (essential), Spanish (essential) and Portuguese (desirable).
- Ability to “translate” scientific and technical information into terms which non-technical market actors can understand.
- Proven experience engaging with a range of stakeholders including producers as well as actors from the private and public sectors.
- A team player who is independent and can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization.
- Familiarity with the carbon market and tools, GIS-based monitoring technologies, climate-smart agriculture and other technical tools and packages available in the market that could promote the supply of sustainable products.
- Experience working on complex projects and value chains is a plus.
- Knowledge of environmental impact assessments and REDD+ framework.
- Experience in fundraising.
To learn more about Solidaridad globally and in South America, you can visit: