Applications must be submitted by Thursday 18th April 2019. Applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Given the high number of applications received, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
To enhance the environmental agenda of Solidaridad’s programmes in South America.
The Regional Environmental Specialist provides a vision on climate adaptation and mitigation strategies at farm/mine/industry and landscape level.
Solidaridad has worked for over 15 years in South America to ensure that value chain development and growth goes hand-in-hand with environmental protection. The Regional Environmental Specialist will lead and coordinate Solidaridad’s climate and landscape agenda in the region, whilst providing technical advice on environmental matters to country offices.
The Regional Environmental Specialist must have the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders to contribute to our regional environmental ambitions.
POSITION IN THE ORGANIZATION
The Environmental Specialist works closely with programme staff delivering climate smart and deforestation free projects in 5 countries in South America, with the Climate and Landscape leader at Solidaridad Network, and with other environmental experts from other regions.
This is a regional position that can be based in either of our offices in Brazil, Colombia or Peru, but works across 5 offices in South America. Applicants need to have the right to work in either of these countries in order to apply. Solidaridad is offering a competitive salary.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Lead and deliver Solidaridad’s environmental agenda in South America.
- Provide technical support to country initiatives working on climate adaptation and mitigation, sustainable landscapes, deforestation-free commodities and climate smart agriculture.
- Identification and analysis of key tools to measure environmental performance at regional level.
- Liaise with national governments, when required, to implement incentives and or enabling conditions that promote the development of responsible value chains.
- Support the development of regional and national studies that determine linkages between agricultural production and environmental protection.
- Grow Solidaridad environmental work regionally, liking this development to our sustainable value chain model. Construct and deliver compelling pitches and proposals to secure support.
- Represent Solidaridad South America in international environmental fora and manage a range of institutional relationships (internal and external) that are required to deliver our environmental agenda in the region.
- Represent the South American region in the Climate and Landscape task force organised by Solidaridad Network.
- Engage with other CSOs active in the region to enhance the potential of our projects and avoid duplication.
- 10 years experience working on environmental issues and the field of sustainability (essential).
- Master degree on environmental sciences or equivalent (desirable)
- Technical familiarity with the carbon market and tools, GIS-based monitoring technologies, climate smart agriculture and other technical tools.
- Proven knowledge of environmental impact assessments and REDD+ framework.
- Proven experience engaging with a range of stakeholders (producers, private and public actors).
- Proven hands-on experience on climate innovations, and permanently looking out for innovative solutions and partnerships with science and technology.
- A team player who is independent and can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organisation.
- Fluent in English, Spanish (essential) and Portuguese (desirable).
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Experience in fundraising.
To learn more about Solidaridad globally and in South America, you can visit: