We are looking for a motivated consultant for an initial 12-month period to support our regional impact investment and commodities programmes in Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean, with a primary focus on Nicaragua and Honduras.
This role coordinates pipeline development for Solidaridad’s impact investment programme in the region, leading the identification of investment opportunities and providing business and financial analysis support to enterprises, as well as accompaniment and coaching to regional staff to develop impact investing initiatives within commodity and landscape programmes. The consultant will work closely with our regional supply chain-focused programme managers as well as with our specialists in impact investment, business development and landscapes & climate, to deliver ground-breaking solutions that accelerate and scale the transition to a sustainable and just economy.
The Pipeline Development Coordinator - Social Enterprise will ideally be based in the Central America region, with a preference for Nicaragua or Honduras (other locations considered), and reports to the Regional Impact Investment Specialist.
The overall purpose of the Pipeline Development Coordinator - Social Enterprise is to contribute to the enhancement of the regional impact investment and sustainable landscapes programmes in Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean.
- Lead the regional pipeline development process for Solidaridad’s crowdfunding impact investment programme for agri-food SMEs: SME identification, filtering, business and financial analysis and support, business plan and investment memo development, presentation of investment opportunities to investment team in Netherlands and follow-up with regional entrepreneurs through to contracting; post-investment follow-up support and M&E of financial and social performance. (80%)
- Support regional impact investment initiatives: contribute to the design of inclusive business and investment cases to support the growth of farmers and sustainable agribusiness in the region. The analysis supports the development of investment proposals pitched to international impact investors, and to blended finance programmes. (10%)
- Provide technical advice, accompaniment and mentoring to entrepreneurs, SMEs and regional staff in the pipeline development process, with a focus on building financial management capacity and business acumen. (10%)
Specific outputs will be agreed in advance with the consultant. The following are presented as a guide:
- Steady pipeline of investment opportunities presented to and financed by the crowdfunding platform. Expected annual volume: 12 investment memos, 6-9 financed deals; 3-6 ongoing deals for monitoring.
- Concrete contributions made to at least one investment proposal/blended finance programme per quarter.
- 2-4 monthly meetings with entrepreneurs and regional staff.
The ideal candidate will fulfil the following requirements:
- At least 5 years verifiable experience (including 3 in Central America/Mexico) in business finance analysis and the provision of business development services to SMEs in a development context. (essential)
- Extensive experience in analysing management accounts and financial reports in the SME sector and developing and implementing tailored support packages for entrepreneurs to improve financial management capacity. (essential)
- Experience advising entrepreneurs on broader business administration including issues relating to governance, efficiencies in operations, administration, sales and marketing, etc (preferred)
- Proven ability to create, analyse and obtain business and investor support for, socially inclusive, environmentally friendly business growth plans. (essential)
- Proven ability to create and analyse detailed financial projections to support growth plans and investment propositions (essential)
- Knowledge of financial engineering of projects in the agricultural sector (essential)
- Track record in pitching investment cases to investors and blended finance donors in a development context (preferred)
- Understanding of and experience in the principles and practice of high-impact, commercial and socially inclusive enterprises in Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean. (preferred)
- Working knowledge of agricultural markets, forestry and/or conservation (preferred)
- Network of contacts to support the scaling of Solidaridad’s impact investing and landscapes work in Central America and Mexico. (preferred)
- Knowledge of relevant financial and accounting applications and software. (preferred)
- High ethical standards on financial accountability and management. Full understanding of checks and balances and quality requirements of financial management. (essential)
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills for preparation and analysis of financial reports and projections. (essential)
- Professional spoken and written fluency in both English and Spanish, including the ability to pitch in English memos and investment plans to international investors and blended finance donors. (essential)
- Strong initiative and the ability to work proactively and collaboratively in a complex, demanding and sometimes uncertain environment. (essential)
- Integrity in dealing with confidential information (essential)
- Experience in working in partnerships with businesses, private investors, civil society organisations, public and private foundations, donors and governments. (essential)
- Experience working in multicultural and bi-lingual (Spanish/English) settings. (essential)
- Service-oriented, pragmatic, flexible (essential)
- Strong planning and organizational skills (essential)
- Must be able to travel regularly within the region (when health protocols allow it) (essential)
- Ability to work remotely, based in the Central American region (Nicaragua or Honduras preferred)
Send your English-language CV (max. 2 pages) and a short proposal (max. 5 pages) in English or Spanish, detailing how you would deliver on Objective No. 1 and Output No 1 (detailed above), including a 1-year budget, to the attention of Al Cunningham at firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 May 2021. Mention “Pipeline Development Coordinator – Social Enterprise” in the subject line of your email. CVs and proposals not meeting the length and language criteria will not be considered. Please note, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Solidaridad Network is an international civil society organization, present in 37 countries, that focuses on sustainable supply chains and poverty alleviation through inclusive economies. We focus on the development of value chains of global importance where changes have a significant impact: coffee, tea, cocoa, fruits & vegetables, textiles, cotton, soy, palm oil, sugarcane, gold, and livestock. We leverage our supply chain expertise and multi-stakeholder approach to develop and implement interventions for integrated landscape management.
Solidaridad Central America, Mexico, and The Caribbean has offices in Guatemala City (GT), San Cristóbal de las Casas and Tampico (MX), La Ceiba (HN), and Managua and El Rama (NI). In the region, Solidaridad has experienced significant growth in recent years and has a robust portfolio that works across entire supply chains, from smallholder producers to large agroindustry actors and brands. We are engaged with the following supply chains regionally: palm oil, sugarcane, livestock, cocoa, coffee, aquaculture, fruits & vegetables, within the umbrella framework of integrated landscape management. Our team of professionals currently manage projects in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Haiti and Dominican Republic.
For more information on our vision, mission and programs please see www.solidaridadnetwork.org.